Friday, November 06, 2009

Colonial Lunch

Pin It Now!

I love cooking and baking as school projects.  For lots of reasons.  You can actually use the finished product and you don’t have to store yet another piece of paper or some kind of odd shaped art project.  We can all enjoy eating the project and I don’t have to feel guilty about throwing it away. :)

We are finally studying American History this year.  We are presently learning about the colonies.  Perfect timing with Thanksgiving around the corner! 

A few days ago the boys made an authentic Pennsylvania Dutch recipe for baked oatmeal.  Sounds a bit boring and bland, huh?  I was pleasantly surprised—It was pretty yummy!!!!

2009-11-04 005

2009-11-04 004  And it was EASY to make!

2009-11-04 007Two thumbs up, and one was so busy scarfing it down, she didn’t even bother with a thumb up!!

I baked it completely according to the directions the first time because I wanted it to be as authentic as possible, but since we liked it so much, we may experiment with adding blueberries or coconut and walnuts next time.  So many delicious possibilities.

If you are studying early American History with your kids, this might be fun to try.  You don’t have to be a home schooler either. :)

Pennsylvania Dutch Recipe For Baked Oatmeal

*1 cup oil (I used Safflower b/c I was out of coconut)

2 cups sugar

4 eggs

6 cups rolled oats

4 tsp baking powder

4 tsp salt

2 cups milk

** Combine all ingredients and pour into greased 9x13 pan.  Bake at 350 degrees for 30 min. or until firm in the middle.  Eat hot or cold, with or without milk.

2009-11-04 006

The first time, we ate it just like it came out of the pan.  Next day we ate it more like hot oatmeal with milk, and then today I actually ate mine cold.  Um, YUM!!!  And can we say FILLING!!!  Oh my goodness, this stuff will make you feel so full!

Hopefully this food project will make colonial history stick in their minds!

1 comment:

Moore Minutes said...

This is such a COOL blog post!! It makes me remember when I was a kid. I was home schooled and really grew to love American History because of things like this. You're being an amazing Mom! Way to go. :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...