Wednesday, March 03, 2010

WFMW: Sunbutter

Pin It Now! Unfortunately, I have a child who is deathly allergic to peanuts.

The poor thing would always look longingly upon his brother's almond butter and jelly sandwiches. Though not allergic to almonds, the almond butter had a warning with which we are all too familiar: May contain peanuts. *Sigh*

But, his world got a whole lot brighter when my sister asked me if I'd ever heard of Sunbutter?

Sunbutter is made from Sunflower seeds! It looks just like peanut butter and tastes pretty good, too. It's made in a peanut and nut-free facility and is also gluten-free.

This butter is packed with protein, vitamin E and other important vitamins and minerals. And what about FAT? It contains 1/3 less saturated fat than peanut butter!

It's not only a great alternative for kids who have a peanut allergy but also for kids who may go to school and eat lunch in a peanut-free cafeteria. It does taste a bit different than peanut butter, but if you don't tell, they may not even notice. :)

My son with the peanut allergy likes it, and I am so happy that he can now eat one of my very favorite sandwiches from childhood~Sunbutter-Honey & Cheerio sandwiches!! (Well, as a child I ate it with peanut butter, but now I use Sunbutter or almond butter.)

Because Kristen from We Are THAT Family is in Kenya right now, you can visit Rocks in my Dryer for more WFMW tips!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...