Saturday, September 04, 2010

Hobbit Food

Pin It Now! My junior high kid is reading and studying Tolkien's masterpiece, Lord of the Rings, this year.


I can still picture him watching The Fellowship of the Ring for the very first time--he was just a little guy. One movie and he was totally hooked--even wanted an LOTR birthday bash when he turned 5.






Then we proceeded to collect every stinkin' character! I think that was the ONLY time in my life I anticipated my trip to Wal-Mart every week. I admit that I was just as thrilled as Mullin was to see new characters lining the shelves.


This was just the beginning of his collection--he had all of these by his 5th birthday. We now have a large tub full of 'em in the closet.


I still haven't completely grasped that he is now old enough to actually read the book. But here he is doing one of his LOTR projects. (I love the recipe ones!)




I think I learned more during this assignment than he did. I had to change a few things about this fancy-schmancy sounding recipe--Farfalle with Creamy Wild Mushroom Sauce--because . . .

  • my store only carried 2 of the three varieties of mushrooms this recipe called for: shiitake, cremini, and oyster
  • of the 2 (shiitake & oyster) that were there, um shockingly expensive, and one looked really weird
  • freshly grated parmigiano-reggiano cheese is like $20 per lb--no way no how I'm affordin' that!
  • I don't even like mushrooms, so I minced 'em up real fine--didn't notice the rubbery taste so much
  • I've never bought dry white wine, so I didn't even look to see how much it cost

Despite the few alterations, it was quite a delicious meal. Everyone like it. And instead of that fancy name, I'm just calling it Hobbit Food.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...