Thursday, September 02, 2010

My Kind of School Project

Pin It Now! 2 letters: M&M--you just can't say no to a science project which involves using and eating M&Ms!!

So, this year we are studying land animals of the 6th day. Our first experiment exhibits (on a small scale) camouflage and the process of natural selection. Yada, yada, yada . . .

The book had me at M&Ms, but hopefully my angels learned something that day, besides mom is such a cool home school teacher who lets her students eat M&Ms!!

And the sorting of these delightful mini morsels begins. :)

The color piles each needed the same number of M&Ms. I let them eat the extras.

Now on to tearing an insane amount of construction paper to use as our "environment." Oh, and I forgot to mention that in this experiment my kids are predators and the poor, defenseless M&Ms are prey.

Our makeshift habitat is orange, yellow and green, in case you didn't notice already.

Timer is set for 2 minutes: "Go!" For 2 minutes the kids (each got their own turn) searched for mini M&Ms. After that they had to count how many candies they found in each color, and the whole time I crossed my fingers hoping that they'd find less orange, green and yellow.


For the most part everything worked out according to plan, and I hope Mullin, Lincoln and Shiloh have a better understanding as to why some animals thrive in certain places, while others do not.
One thing is for sure--we had a jolly-good time!

2 comments:

The Lenzers said...

what a fun experience...too bad they were mini m&m's

Brandi said...

The minis made for a nice change--I rarely ever buy them. :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...