Monday, July 30, 2012

I Was So Pumped!

Pin It Now! I was so pumped last night after I had separate homeschool pep talks with my 3 kids!

We addressed some issues that had cropped up towards the end of last year, I let them each know what was expected of them this year, and I really encouraged them to be grateful for all that God has blessed us with, to work hard, and do it all for God's glory. Even though they were a bit bummed about school starting again, as they usually are, we were all in great moods last night and everyone was ready to have an awesome day today.

Well, it turned out to be an I-need-to-get-out-and-get-a-coke day. Grrrr. (Yeah, we all know how a truckload of sugar can cure just about anything, huh?!)

Three out of four of us were cheerful, but one let stinkin' thinkin' get the best of him. And it started BEFORE school even began. Yep, picture time. I do it every year on the first day as I am sure most of us silly mamas do. But the attitude started then, and I knew my day was not going to turn out like I had hoped.

Just pray, pray, and pray some more, I told myself. Just last night I had prayed that I would truly be filled with the Holy Spirit and would be a good teacher and mom for the glory of God etc. Though this certain attitude was bringing 3 of us down and causing distraction, I was determined to not let it get the best of me with Christ's strength, not mine, of course.

This certain little obstacle was an opportunity for me to remind my other 2 children and myself how to respond -- not with negative talk and bad mouthing, but with grace. I reminded them that "whatever happens conduct yourselves in a manner worthy of the gospel of Christ." (Phil. 1:27)

I also took the opportunity to speak frankly with the child bound by a negative attitude.

Such is life, though. I shouldn't be surprised by obstacles. I must learn to live with them and not let them ruin my day. It can be very challenging, however, day-in and day-out. I know I will fail, but not today. For the sake of getting the year off to a good start, setting a good example to my family, and for bringing glory to my God, the day has been redeemed.

My daughter's memory verse this week happens to be "Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up." (Galatians 6:9) I totally needed to hear that. I have wanted to give up the whole homeschooling thing OFTEN. But I know I am called to do it, and as a friend once told me, "He doesn't call the equipped, He equips the called."

So, now that we have that out of the way, on to the first day pics . . .

Mullin ~ 8th grade
Says he wants to be an archaeologist


Lincoln ~ 5th grade
Says he doesn't want to go to college (love the ambition *sigh*)


Shiloh ~ 2nd grade
Says she wants to be a veterinarian


We made it through the first day, yea! And now I need to go grade all those papers. Ugh!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I really enjoy reading your blog, but I especially love today's! I hope I have the same grace (and patience) when we start school in a couple of weeks.

Brandi said...

Thanks, I appreciate that! If only I could report that all of my days turned out that way. :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...