Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Crockpot Meal: Swiss Steak

Pin It Now!

Except for occasionally cooking pot roast, I usually don't use my crock pot throughout spring and summer. I really don't like having to scrub it clean. It's hard work!

You should have seen me as a newlywed the first time I tried to clean my brand new crock pot! I spent quite a bit of time and all of my strength trying to separate the "pot" from the bottom - is that the crock? Anyway, I think I remember calling my mom about the ordeal, and I guess that's when it hit me that not all crock pots can be separated. Oh boy, that made cleaning it even more difficult. I would have made the perfect pioneer wife, huh? Thank goodness, I didn't have to get messy turning the cow into the steak!

Back to the recipe - Swiss Steak is one of the first fall meals that I make. In September in the desert, it's just too hot to make chili yet! I can't wait though. :)




Swiss Steak
  • 1 1/2 lbs. round steak (I buy the kind already thinly sliced)
  • 2 TBSP flour
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/4 tsp pepper
  • 1 medium onion, sliced
  • 1 carrot, chopped
  • 1 small stalk celery, chopped
  • 1 15 oz can tomato sauce
  • 1 green pepper, sliced in rings
Cut round steak into serving pieces. Season flour with salt and pepper and dredge meat in seasoned flour. Put onions in bottom of crock pot; add meat. Top with carrots, celery, and green pepper. Cover with tomato sauce. I add more salt and pepper at this point. Cover, and cook on low 8-10 hours.

*This recipe came from the little Rival Crock Pot booklet. The only thing different is the added green pepper and extra salt and pepper. I like to serve this meal over rice, though the rest of my family prefers rice on the side. :)






No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...