Monday, October 15, 2012

Fall Decor and the Making of My First Fall Wreath

Pin It Now!


Besides setting out a couple of pumpkins and a pot of mums, I've never really decorated for fall. Not that I haven't wanted to ~ just really haven't been able to. :) This year, though, I was able to work for a couple of days and earn some extra "fun" money!

I was super giddy knowing Hobby Lobby had all of their fall decor on sale for 40% off, so I thought I was going to be able to buy my first fall wreath. I just LOVE fall wreaths!! Um, I honestly had no idea how expensive ready-made wreaths were. Even with 40% off, I had to pass. Do people really spend $120 (not on sale) on a wreath?

Anyway, I was hoping to avoid having to spend time and energy on making my own, but I really wanted a wreath. I'm like a polar bear in the desert when it comes to craft and hardware stores, but I decided to brave the new JOANN right by my house. I let out a huge sigh of relief when I saw their prices, and I was able to get a few items of decor ~ yea!

I put my lovely apothecary jars to good use, bought some fake fall foliage, and yes, made my first fall wreath. (grin)


I've been dying to find a way to use burlap, and here is a way for this uncrafty girl to use it. :)


Fall foliage looks so pretty in the vase hubby bought for me.


Perfect in front of my 3 cuties, although they are no longer this little.


Now for the wreath. Supplies: twig wreath, leaf garland, fall foliage pieces, burlap ribbon, shiny ribbon, craft wire, and hot glue. I reused a twig wreath that had Christmas decorations glued to it, so it was free. Overall, I'd say I spent about $30 making the wreath, and that's because I had to buy a refill package of glue.


I attached the leaf garland to the wreath with gold wire. My hot glue gun is super tiny, and it would've cost more to use the glue.


Once that was finished, I did use glue on some of the leaves to make them actually stick to the wreath. This helped to cover up the bare spots in the middle. I also glued those little cream-colored things onto the wreath. I have no idea what they are called.


Last I looped burlap ribbon around the wreath and added a shiny bow. Not as elaborate as some of the wreaths I'd love to have on my door, but it's simple and pretty nonetheless!


I am content with my little front porch display and so happy to finally have a fall wreath! (Now I just need to make sure I keep myself from looking at all the beautiful, elaborate Pinterest fall front porches.)

Making my own wreath works for me!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...