Monday, January 21, 2013

Heroic Deeds

Pin It Now!

"The grandest of heroic deeds are those which are performed within four walls and in domestic privacy."  ~Jean Paul Friedrich Richter

I read this quote in a fiction book I'm reading, Mine Is the Night, and it really spoke to me as a stay-at-home mom.

I have no regrets, and I truly believe I am living out one of my callings. There's truly no place I'd rather be than at home raising my kids, however, that doesn't for one minute mean it's always easy.

I know what it's like to feel crazy tired by day's end, to feel irritated by whiny little kids, to just want a few minutes alone to be able to think straight.

I know what it's like to feel like I'm really not doing anything that special or amazing, to feel like what I do doesn't really matter.

Sometimes I even felt trapped as a young mom, tied down to feeding schedules and nap schedules. I really felt trapped after my family moved to AZ six years ago. We had to leave our second vehicle behind, so I was literally "withing four walls" All. Day. Long. We were finally blessed with a car for a little while but then had to go right back down to one car. Those were some of my longest stay-at-home-mom days ever.

But we made the best of it, and we survived with no lasting scars. :)

I love that I have been able to spend so many hours with my kids. It really is the simple things - reading books, playing games, going to the park, putting puzzles together, cuddling on the couch watching cartoons . . .

They are older now - my baby will be 8 this year - and I do have more freedom which is pretty nice. But occasionally I miss those days. I don't ever look back and think, ya know, I spent too much time with my kids. Those years seem like a whisper in the wind.

I am by no means a heroine, but I do hope that one day my kids will look back upon their childhoods with fond memories and realize how much I love them!

If I had one piece of advice to pass on to young mamas who are at home all day with their kids, it would be this: EMBRACE this phase of your life and ENJOY it because it doesn't last forever!

Image Credit

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...