Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Rich Mullins Movie & My Firstborn's Namesake

Pin It Now!

My hubby and I were so excited to find out that a Rich Mullins movie is in the works!

Honestly, I don't even think I knew who the guy was until I started dating my hubby. (Which was a looooong time ago - like 1994!) Because he loved Rich so much, it was hard for me not to become a fan, too. :)

I was fortunate enough to be able to go to one of his concerts shortly before his death on Sept. 14, 1997. I truly enjoyed hearing him and the Ragamuffin Band play in person. Loved how real Rich seemed to be. And how in love with Jesus he was. And how he seemed to really grasp how incredible God's grace is.

I can remember like it was yesterday how devastated my husband was when we heard the horrible news that Rich Mullins had been in a tragic and fatal accident. Even though my hubby never knew him personally Rich was, in a way, like a mentor to him.

So, in December of '98 when I found out I was pregnant, we decided that if we had a boy we'd name him Mullin -- after Rich Mullins, of course. And indeed, we found out our first child was going to be a BOY!

 
The brand new daddy even personalized one of the scrapbook pages in Mullin's Creative Memories baby album. He included a photo of Rich, Rich's song, "Growing Young," a picture of him putting Mullin's footprints on a Rich Mullins T-shirt, and our reason behind naming our son after Rich Mullins.
 
Here's what my hubby wrote:
 
"When your Mother and I named you after Rich, it had nothing to do with the fact that he was famous or talented or successful. Though all of those things are very true, something far greater set him apart in my life to the degree that I wanted to honor him by giving you his name. Son, as I've told you before, this world is full of liars, and they will do whatever they can to steal your soul, your joy, and your purpose for living. But Rich Mullins told me the truth, and he told it clearer and truer and more beautifully than anyone ever had before. He told me that God was undeniably awesome, that He loves filthy sinners with a reckless, raging fury, and that He is ever watching and waiting for His wandering children to come back home to Him.
 
Mullin, Rich wasn't perfect, and neither are you. Even still, God used his life and his gifts to draw people to Himself and His amazing grace! I pray that, like Rich, you will intimately know the matchless love of Christ and that you will demonstrate that love wherever your life and talents take you."

Our son will be 14 later this summer. It seems like yesterday that I was watching Rich sing live. It seems like yesterday that we heard the news of his death. It seems like yesterday that our son, Mullin, came into this world. Wow, how the time flies.


Right now my son is going through what I am sure many other kids go through when it comes to their names. He wishes it was different. Some people have trouble pronouncing it. Some people ask him to repeat it. And it isn't a very common name, which I like, but I guess when you're a 13-year-old kid, those things are pretty bothersome. Online he's known by half of his middle name, which I admit sounds cool, but he will always be Mullin to me.

It does make me a little sad that he doesn't love his name, but I also went through a similar phase. I wished my name was Misty of all names. I was younger than my son is now, though, when I wanted to change it. Hopefully someday he will come to love his name again.


Do you plan to see the Ragamuffin movie? Here's a trailer for you to watch. We can't wait!



"Love is found in the things we have given up more than in the things that we have kept." ~ Rich Mullins

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well, I have seen this movie a lot of time. I liked the camera angles in this movie very much.
innocinema | oconnor tripod system

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...