Wednesday, January 08, 2014

Word for 2014

Pin It Now! I believe the Lord has impressed upon my heart this word for 2014 ~


FOLLOW.

It makes sense as my husband and I feel that we may be approaching a fork in the road this year with a decision to make, a path to choose. And there may even be more than one important decision to make. But, we can't see the future, so we will "trust in the Lord with all our hearts and lean not on our own understanding, in all our ways acknowledge Him, and He will direct our paths." (Prov. 3:5-6)

Throughout the Gospels, Jesus invites people to follow him. He never asks people to accept Him into their hearts. Of course, as a believer, I "get" what that common-to-the-modern-church phrase means, but it goes a lot deeper than that and looks more like this: Believe, Repent, Follow.

*While non-believers need an invitation to follow, believers need a reminder to continue to follow. Why? Because Satan desperately wants to divert our attention, to shift our focus to the left or to the right even if it's just a little bit. It's so subtle that most of the time we don't even notice that our focus has shifted until it's too late. Before we know it, we're no longer looking to Christ, we've lost our footing, and we're sinking into the depths of despair.

As a child of God, I am grateful for the reminder to follow Christ because the voices of my flesh and the world can get pretty loud drowning out that still, small voice.

Father, please help me to keep my focus on You. Help me to keep in step with Your Spirit and lead me onto the path of Your choosing. Amen.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...