Thursday, October 09, 2014

My First Pastors' Wives Conference

Pin It Now!



I had the opportunity to attend my very first pastors' wives conference this week. At first I thought, Really? I've only been a pastor's wife for a month. Surely that doesn't count - at least not enough to have the privilege of going to a conference. "Conference" sounds so official!

However,

Being able to attend the conference proved to be the perfect way to start my journey as a pastor's wife. The theme of the conference couldn't have been more fitting: Rooted.


I can't really be an effective pastor's wife, or Christian for that matter, if I am not rooted in Christ. I need big, strong roots to weather the storms and to grow up as a "healthy oak of righteousness, a planting of the Lord for the display of His splendor." (Isaiah 61:3)

I gleaned so much during the 2-day whirlwind! Here are a few nuggets of truth that stuck out to me:

Surrender
I must continue to surrender my life to the Lord daily.

Power
I must continue to live my life through the power of the Holy Spirit.

Fear
I must continue to have godly fear - the kind that radiates reverence, awe, and trust in God, but get rid of godless fear - the kind that brings on anxiety and worry.


I have to say that the highlight for me was getting to hear Naghmeh, Pastor Saeed's wife, speak. It was such a surprise because she was an unscheduled speaker, but it worked out for her to be there for just a few minutes at the very beginning of the conference. I feel so blessed to have heard her speak in person.


I appreciated her transparency and realness about marriage and life. She basically gave us pastors' wives three exhortations:
  1. Be free from fear
  2. Deny yourself - die to self and dig deeper into the Word of God during hardships
  3. Take pleasure in infirmities
Difficult truths to live out, but what an encouragement to hear these things from her, someone who knows what it means to truly suffer for the Gospel.

I came home exhausted from lack of sleep and a bit miserable due to a diverticulitis attack and a bad headache, but it was worth it. :) Now I am playing catch up and trying not to worry about all the things I need to do and the upcoming homeschool review deadlines!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...